Newsletter - December 2016

12/1/2016

SRRPC Newsletter 12/01/2016

Savannah River Rifle and Pistol Club
P.O. Box 5337
Aiken, SC 29804

NRA # C7072 CMP # 037002

Nov 21, 2016 Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

The meeting was called to order by Secretary, George Laverick. Officers present were George Laverick, Roger ward, Jim Shaver, and Kevin Lilly. Four members were also present.

Minutes

The minutes of the October 25, 2016 Executive Committee meeting were read by George Laverick and were accepted as read.

Treasurer's Report

The treasurer's report was given by Roger Ward. A short discussion was held regarding how much of the treasury's balance was already committed.

Armorer's Report

The Armorer's report was given by Kevin Lilly. There is no change to the status of the Club's firearms.

Range Report

The range is in excellent condition. A work day was held on 11/12. There was a good turnout. Debris has been cleared, the gate is operational, weeds have been cut, and signs have been installed on the perimeter fence.

Old Business

Range/Fence: Ram Land Clearing has completed their portion of the range extension work. Jim shaver will obtain an invoice from them and submit it to Roger Ward for payment.

We have a quote from Ram for repair of the damaged fence on Old Chalk Bed Rd. and another for the removal of trees killed by the fire. Jim shaver is waiting to see if the insurance is going to cover all of the damage before authorizing Ram to proceed. He should know within a few days.

Dennis Eidson raised an issue with the 77 meter berm. The way ram has sloped the side berm, there is level ground for placing targets for only about half the length of the 77 meter berm. A short retaining wall is needed to solve this problem.

Steel Targets: Jim shaver recommended that we purchase some steel gong targets for the ranges. In the meantime, we can put up orange construction mesh like we had before on the 100 yard range. Jim Shaver and Roger Ward will look at what sizes to get and sources for them.

The is a lot of old steel pipe up above the new 200 meter berm which should be removed at some time. It needs to be cut up into pieces that can be readily handled.

George Laverick pointed out that there is a bunch of our old smooth fence wire lying outside the new fence between our property and Jackson's. We need to get it removed.

New Business

Water Pistol Range Berm: Jim Shaver will purchase a timer and sprinklers to water the new pistol range berm. He will also need to watch the weather to determine when the well needs to be shut down to prevent freezing.

Paypal: A member had sent an email to the officers suggesting that the club use Paypal for collecting dues. George Laverick pointed out that there would be no real benefit since the members have to send in a signed renewal form with there dues payment. No further action is contemplated.

Driveway: Jim Shaver has gotten a quote of $5900 from Ram to re-grade and re-gravel the driveway including dealing with the washout problem near the rifle range. At this time, we cannot afford to have it done so this is tabled until some future time.

Silhouette Match Targets: Dennis Eidson indicated that new targets and stands are needed for the silhouette matches at a cost of about $1100. He has about half of that money now. He also wondered about allowing first-time participants to shoot for free. The committee felt that the match director is allowed to use his discretion as far as any charges for match participation. Dennis will make a formal request at a future meeting.

December Meeting: The "normal" date for the next Executive Committee meeting would be two days after Christmas which is a bad time for many people. The Executive Committee voted to re-schedule the meeting for Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 7:00PM. It is very important that the December meeting is held so that nominations can be made for officers for 2017 since elections are held in January.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:04PM.

The next Executive Committee meeting will be at 7:00PM on December 20 , 2016 at the ADPS Indoor Range, 240 Dupont Drive, Aiken, SC.

Nominations will be taken at the meeting for 2017 officers. If you would like to nominate someone and cannot make it to the meeting, send your nomination to the Secretary (nominee must be willing).

Respectfully submitted,

George Laverick


Categories: Newsletters