Newsletter - September 2016

9/14/2016

SRRPC Newsletter 09/14/2016

Savannah River Rifle and Pistol Club
P.O. Box 5337
Aiken, SC 29804

NRA # C7072 CMP # 037002

August 23, 2016 Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

The meeting was called to order by President, Jim Samsel. Officers present were Jim Samsel, Chuck Novak, George Laverick, Roger ward, and Jim Shaver. Two members were also present.

Minutes

The minutes of the July 26,2016 Executive Committee meeting were read by George Laverick and were accepted as read.

Treasurer's Report

The treasurer's report was given by Roger Ward.

Armorer's Report

The Armorer was not present, but there is no change to the status of the Club's firearms.

Range Report

The Executive Officer reported that a car crashed through the fence on Old Chalk Bed Road on 8/20/2016 destroying approximately fifty feet of fence and causing a fire which burned several acres of Club property (not any of the area currently used or proposed for the extended rifle range.

An RSO reported that the handle on the rifle range port-a-potty is not working properly. Roger Ward will contact Keadle to have it fixed.

The bulletin board is blocked by a small tree. If we are going to use the bulletin board, it needs to be visible.

.22 magnum casings were found in front of the plate rack. NO magnums are permitted when shooting steel plates.

When responding to the fire, the fire department was unable to open the gate with their sirens. George Laverick will test the siren sensor unit and repair or replace as needed.

Old Business

Meeting Location: Jim Samsel is waiting for a response from ADPS, but we may be able to continue to use the classroom at the ADPS Indoor Range.

200 Yard Range/Fence: We have received quotes for the fence, however the footage used on the two quotes is different so that needs to be clarified. There are other inconsistencies in the two quotes (Ram and Boyd). It appears that Ram's quote is slightly lower (Ram is also separately bidding the rifle range work). The committee decided that all fence posts shall be set in concrete which is a $2000 increase in Ram's quote. It was also decided that a gate will be put into the fence near the pistol range port-a-potty.

Since there is a natural backstop at about 230 meters, the 200 meter berm will not be needed. The committee also settled on a layout for the silhouette berms.

Chuck Novak and Roger Ward will get quotes for a new firing line (concrete and shelter.

Finances: It is obvious that there is going to be a shortfall if we proceed with all projects immediately. Members will be asked to voluntarily renew their memberships early this year to help with the cash flow situation. Some part of the projects (probably the fence) will be delayed until money is available.

New Business

John Jones spoke about the opportunity for Club members to buy merchandise with the Club logo from Lands End. This does not involve the Club in any way other than allowing use of the logo; members would deal directly with Lands End through a special page on their website. George Laverick will add a link to the Club page on the Lands End website to the Club's website.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:32PM.

September 11, 2016 Special Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

A special meeting of the Executive Committee was called to discuss issues related to the Rifle Range Extension and Fence projects. Officers attending were Jim Samsel, Chuck Novak, George Laverick, Roger Ward, Kevin Lilly, and Jim Shaver. Several members were also in attendance.

Finances: In order to continue with the projects, it is necessary that the Club set a minimum bank balance to act as a reserve after normal operating expenses are provided for.

Roger Ward provided a breakdown of income and expenses for the past several years along with income projections for the coming year. Based on his analysis, the Executive Committee determined that a reserve bank balance of $10,000.00 should be maintained after budgeting for normal operating expenses.

Fence: It was decide to delay installation of the back fence until funds are available so that the work could be done without impacting the reserve bank balance. Hopefully, with early membership renewals, this can still be done this year. If it does have to be pushed into next year, there may be a cost impact since the contractor will have to re-quote materials.

Firing Line: Chuck Novak presented a concept for the firing line that will provide an enclosed storage on one end (for maintenance equipment and silhouette match supplies) and a semi-enclosed shed on the other end for storing target stands, etc. The original structure will be demolished. As much as practical of the upper structure will be saved for future re-use. Chuck has one quote and is expecting a second quote for the new firing line.

Berms: Although there is no cost benefit from eliminating the proposed 200 meter berm, it serves no useful purpose since there is a natural backstop, and would simply be something that would require additional maintenance in the future. The berm will be eliminated.

The original concept for the intermediate (silhouette) berms was to seed them with love grass. However we will be shooting over those berms when shooting 100 or 200 meter targets. Instead, they will be seeded with bahia grass (highway mix), and the rear of the berms will be ramped to allow mowing.

Contract: The Executive Committee agreed that once the minor changes agreed to in this meeting are incorporated in the proposed contract, Jim Shaver will send the revised contract to the Executive Committee members for final review and approval. The contract for extension of the rifle range will then be issued to Ram Land Improvement.

Meeting Location and time: Jim Samsel reported that ADPS has agreed that we can continue to use the classroom portion of the ADPS Indoor Range to hold our Executive Committee meetings. After discussion, the Executive Committee decided that future meeting will be held on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 7:00PM.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:21PM.

The next Executive Committee meeting will be at 7:00PM on September 27 , 2016 at the ADPS Indoor Range, 240 Dupont Drive, Aiken, SC.

Respectfully submitted,

George Laverick


Categories: Newsletters