Newsletter April 2014

4/13/2014

SRRPC Newsletter 04/13/2014

Savannah River Rifle and Pistol Club
P.O. Box 5337
Aiken, SC 29804

NRA # C7072 CMP # 037002

March 23, 2014 Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

The meeting was called to order by Vice President, Joe Podesta. Officers present were Joe Podesta, George Laverick, Roger Ward, and David Nichols.

Several members were present in addition to the officers.

Minutes

The minutes of the February 23, 2013 Executive Committee meeting were read by George Laverick. The minutes were accepted as read.

Treasurer's Report

The Treasurers report was given by Roger Ward.

Range Report

David Nichols reported that he hauled away a lot of trash from the range, and that members are not cleaning up after themselves as required by club rules. Cleanup requirements include targets and stands; they must be removed when through shooting.

Range Committee

Joe Podesta reported that attempts to have the neighbor participate in a meeting to evaluate noise impact at his home have been unsuccessful. He will call a meeting of the Range Committee to discuss our options from this point.

Armorers Report

Since the Armorer was not present, no rport was available.

Old Business

Joe Podesta has delivered a check for $600.00 to the City of Aiken for use of the Indoor Range in 2014 and a check for $115.00 for the sale of brass collected at the Indoor Range. He will deliver our Certificate of Liability Insurance to ADPS in the coming week. Average use of the Indoor Range is 3-4 people per week.

Joe Podesta offered one solution to bullets coming over the pistol range berm into the target area of the rifle range if we extended the existing range to 200 yards. This would be accomplished by the use of 2x10 or 2x12 baffles. We would have to change our rules so that only specific firing lines are used on the pistol ranges.

Roger Ward suggested that the longer rifle range be built parallel to the existing rifle range. This would eliminate the problem of being angled toward the neighbor's house.

David Nichols offered the suggestion that we replace the existing rifle range with 100 and 300 yard ranges parallel to the existing pistol ranges. This would eliminate both the neighbor's concerns and any problem with bullets passing over the pistol range berms. This could also address concerns that shooters on their way to the target area would not be visible from the firing line on the 300 yard range as originally proposed.

George Laverick agreed to get quotes for putting up a new fence along the club's road frontages (including necessary clearing for the fence). George will also check the property limits and ownership of the “triangle” and abandoned section of Kirkland St. with Aiken County.

Jim Samsel (via phone) suggested that we put out a list of projects that the club might take on and ask members to volunteer to head up the various projects. George Laverick said he had received an email suggestion that we add antoher plate rack on the pistol ranges since it is very popular and busy. Roger Ward said another rack like the one we have now would cost about $2800.

Another suggestion received by email was to put yardage markers on the pistol ranges.

Joe Podesta requested the status of the gate phone service. The application for phone line installation has been made and George Laverick met with a Field Supervisor to let him know what needed to be done. The modem for the gate controller has been ordered.

 (As of 4/13/2014, the phone line has been installed, and the modem has been shipped, but not yet received.)

New Business

Our neighbor has notified Jim Samsel that he has observed increased use of automatic weapons on our range. There is no prohibition in our range rules against automatic weapons. Joe Podesta suggested that we amend our rules to require that a member must file a copy of his Class C license with the Club before being allowed to fire automatic weapons on our ranges. David Nichols recommended that we also ban .50 caliber weapons from the range.

Roger Ward pointed out that “popper” targets like we use on the rifle range are currently on sale. He feels we should buy some spares. George Laverick made a motion that we authorize Roger to purchase four of the “popper” targets. The motion passed unanimously.

David Nichols made a motion that we authorize Roger to buy a new plate rack like the existing one to put on the right-hand side of the right pistol range. The motion passed unanimously.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:08PM.

The March Executive Committee meeting will be held April 27, 2014 at 7:00 PM at the ADPS Indoor Range, 240 Dupont Dr., Aiken.

The FONRA banquet will be held at the Aiken Shrine Club on April 24, 2014. Contact Kevin Lilly (armorer@srrpclub.com) if interested.

Respectfully,

George Laverick, Secretary


Categories: Newsletters