Newsletter - July 2013

7/21/2013

SRRPC Newsletter 07/21/2013

Savannah River Rifle and Pistol Club
P.O. Box 5337
Aiken, SC 29804

NRA # C7072 CMP # 037002

June 24, 2013 Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

The meeting was called to order by President, Jim Samsel. Officers present were Jim Samsel, Joe Podesta, George Laverick, David Nichols, Kevin Lilly, and Roger Ward. Several members were also present.

Minutes

Minutes of the May 27, 2013 meeting were read by George Laverick with corrections, and were accepted as corrected.

Treasurer's Report

The Treasurer's report was given by Roger Ward.

Range Report

David Nichols reported that the range is in generally good condition except that someone has again been shooting at the barrier posts on the left pistol range. First Aid kits have not yet been ordered since they would have arrived while he was out of town. One First Aid kit has been installed on the left pistol range by Terry Overstreet. One sprinkler zone is still not working. David will try to get it fixed this week.

Armorer's Report

There is no change to the status of the club's rifles.

Old Business

Joe Podesta reported on the status of the 300 yard rifle range:

Originally, there were 12 potential bidders for the ground work. That has been reduced to 7.

Joe held bidders briefings, but it was determined that heavy equipment access through Mark Jackson's property will be needed.

Jim Samsel talked to Mark Jackson by phone, and he indicated it would not be a problem. However, when Jim met with Mark two days later, he indicated that he objected to the new rifle range because he felt there would be too much noise from increased numbers of high powered rifles on the range closer to his home (he sleeps during the day).

The range expansion is on hold pending resolution of this issue. Legally we may be able to expand the range, but we also need to consider neighbor relations. Terry Overstreet will provide the Executive Committee with a link to the S.C. Laws covering gun ranges. We need to determine a way to expand the range without an increase in noise (several concepts were discussed). Joe Podesta will investigate sound abatement techniques. We also need to measure the sound levels from the proposed range/existing range at Mark Jackson's house. George Laverick suggested that we schedule a special meeting at a time when Mark Jackson could attend to dscuss the noise issues and what meight be done to minimize the noise problems. The range committee will meet with Mr. Jackson.

Chuck Novak has the steel for the new target stands cut, and he is ready to start welding. He expects to have the stands completed by the next meeting.

Kevin Lilly presented proposed sign-out sheets for the .22 rifles. The Executive Committee modified the sign-out sheet to limit check-out to 30 days with a maximum of two 30 day renewals; the rifle must be physically inspected by the armorer before checkout can be renewed. Approved as modiifed.

George Laverick reported on status of the gate. Posts were set on Thursday . The meter and breaker panels are installed. George Laverick will contact Aiken Electric to see if they need a cardkey to read the meters, and when they will get the new meter installed.

[Installation of the gate has been completed. It will go into service Monday, July 22, 2013.]

Jim Samsel opened a discussion of possible budget items for next year:

Joe Podesta proposed installation of six motion activated range surveillance cameras at a total cost of $1250-$1600.

Joe also suggested target stands built from rebar to fix the height at which targets could be mounted.

Rogr Ward recommended that we install an improved fence along Kirkland Street as well as new warning signs.

An increased support of the high school JROTC programs was suggested.

Roger Ward suggested installation of another plate rack on the pistol range at a further distance from the firing line.

New Business

George Laverick presented one new application for membership. Approved unanimously.

Joe Podesta moved that the meeing be adjourned. Meeting adjourned at 8:49 PM.

The next Executive Committee meeting will be Sunday, July 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM in the ADPS indoor range.

Respectfully,

George Laverick, Secretary


Categories: Newsletters