Newsletter - April 2013

4/4/2013

SRRPC Newsletter 04/04/2013

 

Savannah River Rifle and Pistol Club

P.O. Box 5337

Aiken, SC 29804

 

NRA # C7072 CMP # 037002

 

March 24, 2013 Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

 

The meeting was called to order by President, Jim Samsel. Officers present were Jim Samsel, Joe Podesta, George Laverick, Roger Ward, David Nichols, and Kevin Lilly. Several members and guests were also present.

 

Minutes

 

Minutes of the February 24, 2013 meeting were read by George Laverick, and were accepted as read.

 

Treasurer's Report

 

The Treasurer's report was given by Roger Ward.

 

Range Report

 

David Nichols reported that he had investigated a leak in the irrigation system on the pistol bay berms. Approximately eight of the sprinkler heads need replaced as a result of the recent fire. He recommends that we buy twelve so that we have some spares. Because of the close locations of the various parts, it will probably be necessary to replace valves and piping in the vicinity of the damaged heads. David will purchase the needed parts and schedule a work day to do the repairs.

 

All the barrier post holders have been reset on the left pistol range. One steel mail box holder has been installed for evaluation by Paragon.

 

He has supplied more binder clips and 1x2 supports.

 

Armorer's Report

 

There is no change to the status of the club's rifles.

 

Old Business

 

Joe Podesta reported that some changes have been made to the SOW for the 300 yard rifle range, so he will schedule another committee meeting to finalize the SOW. Joe reported that ADPS had suggested walls built from rubber tires around 4x4 posts then filled with dirt as the cheapest way to build berms.

 

Range Safety Officer training is currently on hold as Bill Bigelow has worsening health problems and is unable to teach the course at this time. Bill has offered to donate the training materials to the club, and has contacted the NRA to find out if there are any other certified trainers in this area.

Jim has drawn up a design for the target stands, and has sent a copy to Chuck Novak who is going to build the stands.

 

George Laverick notified the member who sent in a late renewal that he would have to submit a new membership application. No response has been received.

 

George Laverick presented a design for a new gate for the range which could later be converted to an automated gate with a list of materials and prices. The executive committee made additional suggestions to strengthen the design and George will contact local fence contractors for estimated cost of having the new gate installed.

 

After discussion of range utilization and the membership cap, Joe Podesta moved that the cap be increased from 300 to 350. Kevin Lilly seconded the motion. The motion passed with a 3 to 2 vote.

 

New Business

 

Kevin Lilly introduced a proposed new “Hand Receipt” for loaning out the club rifles. A discussion ensued about the term of the loan as well as how the club can insure that the guns are used and maintained properly. Suggestion was made that the club provide a manual for the guns and that the borrower would sign that he had read, understood and would abide by the manual including use of the proper ammunition. A question was raised about the liability of the club, its officers and its members if any damage or injury results from use of the rifles. George Laverick was designated to contact an attorney specializing in firearms issues and report back at the next meeting. Kevin Lilly will present a more detailed policy regarding the length of time and conditions under which the guns will be checked out.

 

Joe Podesta moved that the meeting be adjourned, seconded by Kevin Lilly. Adjourned.

 

The next Executive Committee Meeting will be on April 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM in the ADPS Indoor Range.


Categories: Newsletters