Newsletter - July 2019

7/19/2019

SRRPC Newsletter 07/19/2019

Savannah River Rifle and Pistol Club
P.O. Box 5337
Aiken, SC 29804

NRA # C7072 CMP # 037002


 

June 25, Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

The meeting was called to order by President, Jim Samsel. Officers present were Jim Samsel, Chuck Novak, George Laverick, Roger Ward, Kevin Lilly, and Rick Fowler.

Minutes

Minutes of the May 28, 2019 meeting were approved as distributed.

Treasurer's Report

The Treasurer's report was given by by Roger Ward. Current membership is 317.

Armorer's Report

There are no changes in status of the Club firearms.

Range Report

The range report was given by Rick Fowler. Condition of the range is generally good. Some trash had been blown around during recent storms. New safety rules signs have been installed. Plate rack is operational, but protection may be needed to deal with excess splatter. (Note: Since the meeting, the plate rack has been shut down again because splatter caused an injury to a shooter.) Someone has already shot the front baffle above the plate rack. There is some problem with recovering data from the video cameras. Rick Fowler has been in touch with the camera system contractor to try to resolve the issue. Rick reported that there is a bullet hole in the silhouette target at 200 meters; however George Laverick stated that this is old damage from when that target was used on the right pistol range. One of the smaller steel targets at 200 meters has cracked at the hanger point.

 

Old Business

 

First Aid Kits: The first aid kits will be replaced because of age, and trauma kits will be added (one for the pistol ranges and one for the rifle range).

 

Barrels: No activity.

Driving on Rifle Range: No problems observed at this time.

Small Pistol Bays: Jim Samsel and Chuck Novak will survey possible layouts for one or more small pistol bays between the current pistol bays and the rifle range.


 

New Business

 

Excavator: A member has offered the use of his 16,000 lb excavator for use in building the small pistol bays. We would need to pay for removing the excavated dirt. Rick Fowler will follow-up with the member.

 

Target Stand: A member brought a target stand that he had designed to hold cans/plastic bottles and asked if it was acceptable. It is OK as long as he picks up any debris and takes it with him and no glass bottles are used.

 

Rifle Range: Status lights have been installed at the rifle range. RED means the range is HOT. GREEN means COLD. Signage will be added to identify which is which.

 

Range Safety Officers: Most of our RSOs have gone inactive. We need to train a new group and get the program going again. George Laverick and Chuck Novak will work together to set up a mutually agreeable schedule. George will check with the NRA to see if the student packets that we have left from the previous RSO training are still usable or will we have to buy new ones.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 7:31 PM.

The next Executive Committee meeting will be held at 7:00PM on Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at the ADPS Indoor Range, 240 Dupont Drive, Aiken, SC. All members are welcome to attend.

Respectfully,


 

George Laverick, Secretary

 


Categories: Newsletters